Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content
– Philippians 4:11, New King James Version
This is a great verse, and one that I have always appreciated.
But Wolf and I had already been kicking around the idea for a “City of God” when our Pastor explained that the Greek for “content” here means far more than our everyday English understanding of satisfied.
We often use “content” when the implication is somewhat unsatisfactory. “She was content to let the declaration stand, even though she was misquoted.”
According to Strong’s, this Contentment carries a much more comprehensive level of satisfaction:
- a perfect condition of life in which no aid or support is needed
- sufficiency of the necessities of life
- sufficient for one’s self, strong enough or processing enough to need no aid or support
- independent of external circumstances
So the name of our community was sealed: Contentment.
We will be blogging about our vision for Contentment, so be sure to check the blog to get the whole picture.
Hope to see you there one day, if the good Lord tarries…